November 29, 2011

Semi-home-made Ravioli



In the interest of total disclosure: I originally set out to make this ravioli recipe. I mean look at the pictures – doesn’t that runny egg yolk look amazing? Seriously – runny egg yolk + ricotta + pasta = love in my world. I wanted it in my mouth immediately. However, I failed miserably. Since I don’t have either a pasta machine or rolling pin, there was no way I was going to take on the task of making homemade pasta dough. So I decided to use premade wonton skins as a short cut.

It was a short cut that took me into raw egg hell. Seriously, my cutting board looked like a scene from a henhouse massacre. I couldn’t fit the egg yolk into the mound of filling, and the one time I managed to, I couldn’t fit the second wonton skin over without breaking the yolk and having it ooze out the side. After my third attempt went horribly wrong once again, I decided to cut my losses and simply carry on sans egg yolk. It’s not my Great-Aunt Joyce’s ravioli by any means (because that is simply divine), but it’s a tender, relatively easy, and tastes good. All’s well that ends well I suppose.

But one day I will master this recipe. One day.




Semi-home made Ravioli
Inspired by Serious Eats

You want to fill the ravioli quickly or you risk having the skins dry out. You can make the filling a couple days in advance and store it in the fridge, which gives you the opportunity to set aside time to fill the ravioli all at once.

Ingredients:

Pre-made wonton skins (as needed)
1/2 cup fresh ricotta
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 and 1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, plus more as needed
1 egg white

Equipment:
Pot, fork

Make the filling: Mix ricotta, parmesan, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and whipping cream together. Set aside.

Boil a large pot of salted water.

Make the ravioli: Place a spoonful (about 1 tablespoon full) on top of a wonton skin. Brush the edge with egg white. Cover with another wonton skin, pressing firmly on the edges to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork and set aside. Continue until finished with filling.

Boil the ravioli for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove and serve with pasta sauce. Enjoy!

Serves 2-4
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Dammit. I really need to send you a rolling pin. I keep thinking about it and forgetting. CLEARLY it is inhibiting your cooking now, and that is unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha, I'm making due no problem. And it's sheer laziness on my end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britney (this is a little late, but whatever), we can go buy her one when we visit. Don't send something so heavy! It'll cost a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay okay...but we really NEED to buy her one when we are in town. Seriously. This. Must. Happen. Don't let me forget!

    Jules - Do not attempt to stop us. We will buy you a rolling pin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom just bought me one in exchange for writing the family's Christmas letter ;D

    You all think alike!

    ReplyDelete