November 22, 2011

Pork Potstickers



Whenever my family ordered Chinese food, I always insisted on potstickers. Our local place made them perfectly – thick, chewy dumpling with perfectly seasoned pork filling. I hated sharing them. It got to the point where other family members would look at me cautiously asking for permission to have a single potsticker with the same tones you ask a crazy person if they can give you the knife. You don't know how badly I always wanted to say no.

I’ve been curious how to make them for years, but once I realized you had to pleat dough I bailed. I can’t hang a picture straight (and there’s plenty of evidence of that in my living room), there was no way I was going to be able to make so many perfectly folded pleats in a baked good.

So this isn’t a perfect potsticker recipe. It’s a starter recipe. For when I feel ready to tackle the scary world of making my own potsticker skin dough and trying pleats. This one uses pre-made skins that I found at my grocery store and a modified seal. Directions below!







Pork Potstickers

If you can’t eat pork, I imagine these would taste great with ground turkey as an alternative protein. I’m not sure hamburger or ground chicken would have quite the same taste, but if you try it – let me know!

A note on folding: If you ask the internet, there are a million ways to fold a potsticker or wonton. I used the following method: Fold opposite corners towards each other, sealing together at the top. Pull each remaining corner in towards the center, creating a boat looking object with a flat bottom. Make sure to go over seams with fingers to seal any loose bits.

Ingredients:

Potstickers

1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup cabbage, minced
1 stalk green onion, minced
1/4 cup ginger root, mined
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 packet pre-made wonton skins
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 cup water
1 egg white

Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoons chili garlic paste
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Equipment
Bowl, pan with lid

Make the potsticker filling: Add the pork, cabbage, green onion, ginger root, soy sauce, sesame oil, and cornstarch together in a bowl. Cover and store in the fridge.

Make the dipping sauce: Add all the ingredients together.

Make the potstickers: Place 1 spoonful filling onto wonton skin. Brush edges with egg white. Fold according to directions above and set aside. Continue until you are out of filling or wonton skins.

Heat peanut oil in pan over high heat. Place potstickers in pan and fry until the bottoms are browned. Pour in a 1/2 cup of water (use the pan lid to cover your face to avoid splatter) and place lid over pan. Lower heat to medium high and cook for 6 minutes.

Cool and enjoy with dipping sauce!

Serves 2-4
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment