November 14, 2011

Fauxmosas




Sometime I get into trouble with my approach to cooking. I tend to make a big dish on Sunday and eat it throughout the week for lunch. It makes it easy in the mornings to get ready to go, saves me money, and ensures that I eat a balanced meal at least once a day. However, sometimes I misjudge portions.

Take the recipe for Moroccan Stew I posted recently. When I originally made it, I thought it would last me about 4 meals – pretty typical. However, I misjudged badly. After six days, I still had some in the fridge. But I couldn’t bear to eat it as it was one more day. So I did what any sane person would do – wrapped it in puff pastry and baked it.

Fantastic decision.




Fauxmosas
Uses leftovers from the Moroccan Stew Recipe

I’m calling these fauxmosas because they remind me a bit of the more typical Indian samosas. Instead of potato and pea filling, however, you have chickpea, chicken, lentils, tomatoes, and rice and the dumpling is baked instead of deep-fried.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Moroccan Stew
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg white

Equipment:
Baking sheet, parchment paper/silicon baking mat

Defrost one sheet of frozen puff pastry according to directions on the box.

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Divide puff pastry sheet into four equal squares. Add about 2 tablespoons of Moroccan Stew filling to each square, making sure each square is filled equally. Brush egg white along the edges of each square and fold in half. Press to seal close, then use fork to crimp the edges.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Makes 4 “fauxmosas” – serves 2.
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. This is genius! This is what I SHOULD have done with all the leftover chili I had...but I did a far more low-tech (and less delicious solution): I put the chili into whole wheat hotdog buns and ate it like a hotdog shaped sloppy joe.

    This idea is much better and looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, stuffing things inside frozen puff pastry may be my default whenever I have leftovers I no longer know what to do with. They taste awesome. But the hotdog bun idea sound decent. Just think - if you'd had hotdogs, you could have had chili dogs!

    ReplyDelete