December 1, 2011

Rice with Almonds and Raisins



You know those days when you have nothing in your fridge but it’s cold outside and you don’t want to leave to go get more food and you don’t have the budget for takeout? Just me? Well, you should like this rice recipe in any case. I found this recipe after a couple minutes of googling all the ingredients I had in my pantry in hopes that I’d find something appealing. Luckily the internet gods smiled down on me (seriously, what did people do without Google?) and this New York Times recipe popped up. Rice + raisins + almonds + coriander? Party in my belly.

I also appreciate that it’s one pot. One pot means far fewer dishes for me to remember to wash in the morning when I stare at my empty fridge and try to figure out what to eat for breakfast (Hint: it rhymes with mice with balmonds).

This made my apartment smell like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (fair given it shares two important ingredients) and for that alone, I will love this recipe forever and ever.





Rice With Almonds and Raisins
From Pierre Franey at the New York Times 

I’ve labeled this as vegan and vegetarian despite some animal products on the ingredient list. There are two very easy substitutions that I’ve included that will make this recipe vegan or vegetarian. For a vegetarian version, simply use water in place of chicken broth; for vegan, use water instead of broth and olive oil in place of butter. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup rice
2 tablespoons white or black raisins
1 cup blanched slivered almonds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
1 tablespoon butter (or 1 tablespoon olive oil to keep vegan and dairy free)
1 teaspoon coriander

Equipment
Large pot with lid

Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the onion, stir and cook until wilted. Add the rice, raisins, almonds, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stir for about a minute to blend all ingredients well.
Add the broth or water and bring to a boil. Cover with lid and simmer for 17 minutes or until tender and all the liquid is absorbed.

Stir in the butter (or olive oil) and coriander and serve.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment