November 18, 2011

Stuffed Shells



I’ve been wanted to make a stuffed shells recipe for a while now, but two things held me up: 1) it was a bit warm for the abundance of cheese and carbs and 2) I couldn’t find jumbo shells anywhere. So finding a box of jumbo shells the same weekend DC had a freak October snow (it wasn’t a storm here, don’t let anyone tell you differently) seemed to be a sign from the cooking gods that this dish needed to be made. I like to rationalize that the equal ratio of spinach to ricotta almost makes this dish healthy.

Almost.

Still, they are tasty and fairly easy to make. Also, don't they look cute in that ramekin? My friend Amber gave me four last time she came to visit and I've tried to think of recipes that make small enough quantities I can use them for photos since. Luckily, two stuffed shells fit perfectly! Thanks again Amber. 









Stuffed Shells
Adapted from 101Cookbooks  and Spoonforkbacon 

I like to split this recipe into two 8x8 baking dishes, so I can assemble both but stick one in the freezer and one in the oven. That way I can have stuffed shells immediately and about a week later when I start remembering how good they tasted, I have another dish ready to go into the oven whenever I want. If you decide to freeze the second, leave off the parmesan until you are ready to bake.

Ingredients:

25-30 jumbo pasta shells
1 cup pasta sauce
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Filling:
2 cups frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
2 cups ricotta (skim or whole-milk is fine)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 shallot, minced (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
pepper to taste

Equipment:
Large pot, two 8x8 baking dishes or one 9x13 baking dish

Preheat oven to 350.  Spread 1/3 cup pasta sauce evenly across bottom of both baking dishes.

Make the filling: Combine ricotta, spinach, egg, shallot, and salt in a medium box. Mix until well combined.

Make the shells: Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook shells according to directions, taking care not to overcook. Drain and let cool long enough to handle with your hands (Seriously, have patience - otherwise you will have very annoying blisters on the tips of your fingertips. Not that I know this from personal experience...).

Stuff the shells: Fill each shell with ricotta filling and arrange in a single layer in the first baking dish, then the second once you’ve filled the first. Spoon the remaining sauce over the shells, sprinkle parmesan on top, and cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovering for the final 15 minutes. Allow dish to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 4 to 6
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. This.Looks.AMAZING. As always, but still, it looks really really good. If I hadn't just eaten lunch in the not too distant past, I would really want stuffed shells. I even want them a little bit...even though I'm not hungry at all.

    Why can't you live close to me so that I can come eat with you? ...Or so you can cook me food when I'm working both jobs and don't have time to cook? *sigh* alas. I bow down to your cooking prowess

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was much easier than anticipated and SUPER tasty. Also, you should move closer to me so I can cook and you and Matt can come over and eat. It's the only sensible plan.

    At least I can cook for you in MARCH! So excited

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to know it was easier. I love stuffed shells, but they looks so...intimidating! Now I know I can probably make them no problem. Your blog is awesome. Once my next show finishes at the end of February, I will take the spring off and cook more!! Probably by poaching recipes from your blog :)

    ReplyDelete