January 24, 2012

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips



I know – another peanut butter chocolate cookie recipe? Didn’t I just post one? How much peanut butter am I going to force you poor souls to buy and consume alongside chocolate? WHEN WILL IT END?

This one is different, I promise. For one, it has gluten in it. It’s also a peanut butter cookie base with chocolate chips, rather than a chocolate peanut butter cookie base with peanut butter chips. Fine line, but big difference (for connoisseurs of all things peanut butter and chocolate, such as myself, at least). This cookie also cooks up nice and fluffy, like you’re eating a traditional chocolate chip cookie that magically also tastes like peanut butter.

It’s a hard job singlehandedly keeping the peanut business afloat with my obsession, but someone’s got to do it.

Although I'm sure everyone is sick of cookies, sweet, and even plain eating at this point in the holiday season, these cookies are worth making an exception for. Besides, you can always stop eating sweets after New Year's, right? 






Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

The dough will stay good for about a week in the refrigerator and for several months in the freezer, just make sure the container is airtight. I didn’t both to chill the dough for the first batch I made, but did for subsequent cookies. This is one of the few cases where I don’t think it makes much of a difference to chill the dough before cooking.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 stick salted butter (8 tablespoons), melted and cooled
6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Equipment:
Hand mixer, baking sheet, mixing bowl

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips.

Use a tablespoon to shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy.

Makes about 18 cookies

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this next time I make cookies. Usually, I just do the "crispy chewy chocolate chip cookies" recipe from SK and then add about 1/2 cup of chunky peanut butter. It's like chocolate chip cookies that also taste like peanut butter and have chunks of peanut in them. But, maybe this recipe will be a better balance since it's, you know, a real recipe and not something I just made up one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out! I tended to just add PB as I thought was necessary, but I really like how these turn out. I think they key might be the extra egg yolk and melting the peanut butter and butter together before adding to dough. I also think I might want to try this recipe with peanut M&Ms or dark chocolate M&Ms or pretzel M&Ms, seems like it'd be tasty as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh.my.god. Peanut M&Ms! Genius! Or...peanut butter M&M's...

    ReplyDelete