January 5, 2012

Baked Eggs with Leeks



One of the first dishes I learned how to make was fried eggs. My mother, being a clever woman, taught my sisters and I that the best part of eggs is the play value – as long as you have runny eggs, you can puncture the yolk with the crusts of your toast. So clearly I had to learn how to make them for myself as soon as I was allowed near a hot stove (it was longer than you think. I was a clumsy child, not allowed near hot glue guns or candles for fear of burning down the house. In retrospect, that was not an exaggerated fear).

Baked eggs are an extension of my love affair with fried eggs. I once made a recipe that called for stuffing them inside a tomato with pesto. This recipe is less time intensive (no hollowing out other foods to act as a container!) and is better suited to fall when getting good tomatoes, let alone fresh basil, is nearly impossible. Leeks are sauted before added to ramekins and topped with an egg. Wait about 10 minutes and you have an adorable and delicious breakfast. Or dinner. Or brunch. Whatever, it’s versatile, that’s all I’m saying.

Also, the play value remains intact. You can cook these to make sure the yolks remain runny, allowing you to chase errant strands of yolk around each ramekin with toast crusts. Because that is what makes life awesome.






Baked Eggs with Leeks
I've seen this recipe all over the food blogs, most sourcing Camino Restaurant in Oakland, CA

The hardest part about this recipe is cleaning the leeks. Make sure you really rinse them well to get all the grit out. My favorite method of cleaning submerges leeks split down the center and swirling them around in cool water. The grit should sink to the bottom, leaving you with clean leeks.

You can also make some easy substitutions to this recipe to cut down on the fat. Feel free to leave off the parmesan. I used one percent milk because I didn't have half and half, and it still tasted great.

Ingredients:
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced into thin half moons
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
2 tablespoons half and half
Salt, butter, and parmesan to taste

Equipment:
Pan, two ramekins or 1 small baking dish (diameter about 3 inches)

Preheat oven to 400. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan and cook leeks to taste (at least 2 minutes, up to 10 if you want a sweeter, less crisp bite). Add salt and pepper to taste. Divide remaining butter in half and add to each ramekin or baking container. Cover with leeks. Crack an egg into the container and add half and half. Bake until white is set, between 8 and 12 minutes. Top with parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve with toast.

Technically this serves two, but I ate both by myself and thought it a perfect portion. 
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment