August 24, 2011

Spicy Red Lentil and Rice Soup


Lentil soup in August doesn't really make sense; it's rich, dense, and warm - who wants that in a month where we've seen 100+ days more than once? However, there is a reason to my madness. There was an earthquake, I wanted comfort food, and I had all the ingredients on hand. All you on the West Coast may make fun of me for freaking out a bit over such a small quake, but I'd never experience once before and my apartment was built in a time where asbestos was considered awesome - I doubt they considered how it would stand up in a earthquake (answer: just fine!).

So soup. In August.




Spicy Red Lentil and Rice Soup
Adapted from 101Cookbooks

I like lentils because they're cheap and filling, but personally I think they don't have much of a taste. So while I thought the original recipe looked great - lentils, onions, shallots, rice, red pepper flakes - I thought it needed an addition boost. So I increased the spices to give the soup a bit of a burn, which can be omitted by those of you who are spice-phobic. This isn't a burn that will linger or cause blisters, just a nice little kick to an otherwise bland legume.

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup red lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
6 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, etc) or water
1 onion, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Black pepper, add as desired
Sea salt, add generously as desired

Equipment:
Soup pot

Rise lentils and brown rice carefully before starting to ensure all stones or other debris is gone. Nothing says "I promise I know how to cook" like taking a spoonful of soup and biting down on a rock.

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, chopped onions, chopped shallots, and red pepper flakes. Heat until onions and shallots are browned and beginning to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Add another tablespoon of olive oil along with the cumin, tumeric, and cayenne. Stir for another 2-4 minutes.

Add in broth and bring to a boil. Add rice and lentils and reduce heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes (rice should be tender but will still have a bit of a bite). The lentils should have reduced into a thick slop. I like it this way, but if you prefer a more liquid-y soup add more water or broth in small amounts until it achieves the consistency you prefer best. Make sure you add salt generously before serving.

Additional toppings: poached egg, cooked chicken breast, feta, Greek yogurt, toasted almonds, olives, or avocado. As you can see from the pictures, I choose to top with a poached egg (thus making it a vegetarian, but not vegan soup) but any of the toppings should be delicious. Choose at your discretion!

Serves 4-6

Want to know how to poach an egg? Go HERE
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment