August 24, 2011

How to: Poach an Egg



Poached eggs are amazing, but can be intimidating to attempt if you aren't sure what you're doing. My first attempts were ugly, ugly things. Luckily, I have kind parents who when I call them for advice are willing to talk me through the tricks of making a good poached egg. And only laugh a couple times.


Step 1: Equipment


When I first started making poached eggs I used a small pot, filled it with water, let it boil, and then cracked an egg into it. Let me tell you - this approach? Not so awesome. I've had the best luck with the equipment above: a small sauce pan (filled with about an inch of water), a dash of vinegar, a lid that will cover the sauce pan entirely, and an egg.

Step 2: Water Temperature

Here's where it gets tricky; you want to heat the water to just below a boil. There should be bubbles, but they should be gentle. Figuring out when your water has reached this point may take some practice, but given that most poached eggs are delicious when the yolk is runny you can always err on the side of caution and add the egg about a minute after you see the first few bubbles.

Step 3: Add the Egg


I've had the best luck keeping the yolk intact when I add the egg using a small container, in this case a teacup. Using the teacup allows me to gently add the egg into the water and I don't have to worry about splashing myself with boiling water by cracking the egg directly into the pan.

Step 4: Cooking the Egg




Cover the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. If you're worried your water may be getting too close to boiling, you can always turn off the heat or turn it down - at this point, the water will be warm enough to cook the egg on its own. The longer the cooking time, the more solid the yolk. Personally, I think poached eggs are the best when you take full advantage of the runny yolk - it adds an amazing amount of richness to your dish - but everyone's tastes are different.

Step 5: Enjoy!

When your egg is done cooking, take the lid off the pan. Using a slotted spoon or pasta spoon, gently scoop it up. It may stick to the bottom of your pan, so be careful. Enjoy!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment