September 14, 2012

White Chocolate Chip Cookies



Enough of this health food! I know what you guys really like - sugar! And wouldn't it figure that it's one of the few recipes I made in the last few months that has more than 1 picture? If that's not a sign of my obsession dedication, I don't know what is.

I feel bad about not sharing this one sooner – since mid-May I’ve constantly had a batch of these in my freezer in case a cookie emergency hits (hint: it hits frequently). I’m not normally a fan of white chocolate (all about the dark chocolate in this half of the apartment folks), but they were on sale at the grocery store and I can’t resist a bargain. Or free shit. It’s a serious clutter-causing problem.

In any case, I bought them the started trying to figure out what I could make. This recipe appealed because a) I’ve had a pretty good relationship with Hershey’s chocolate so far in my life and b) I had all the ingredients on hand. Originally I had hoped to make a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips and pistachios, but I couldn’t find a small enough and cheap enough quantity of pistachios to make it worth it. One day though….

In the mean time, enjoy these! Tasty, chocolate-y, and very easy to make.




White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Slightly adapted from Hershey’s

I changed the recipe to be half brown sugar and half white. I’m sure if you hate the taste of brown sugar they will be awesome as originally written (all white), but I found the addition of brown to make the cookies taste deeper and brings out the flavor of both the cocoa powder and the white chocolate chips. I think come Christmas cookie season, these might also taste amazing with the addition of mint extract and possible some creme-de-menthe chips!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (6-oz. pkg.) white chocolate chips

Equipment:
Hand mixer, mixing bowl, cookie sheets

Instructions:

Heat oven to 350. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy, then add eggs and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed and fluffy. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix this gradually into the wet mixture. Stir in white chocolate chips. Make balls of dough about a tablespoon large and drop onto a ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (cookies will be soft and puffy coming out of the oven and will flatten as they cool). Cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then place onto wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 2-dozen small cookies or 1 dozen large cookies.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment