December 8, 2011

Flourless Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies


Welcome to Day 1 of Baking Extravaganza! When else during the year do you need so many cookie, candy, and sweets recipes in so short a time? The next two weeks will feature some of my favorite cookie, candy, and sweets recipes - some holiday, some classic, and some for people with allergies or food restrictions. Because this kind of excess needs to be celebrated in style, with this blog's first group of purposefully themed entries! I hope you find some new recipes during the next two weeks, or least drool a bit more at all the tasty sweets presented for your perusal. 


As you all well know, I love peanut butter and chocolate. You’ve seen my obsession in smoothies, cupcakes, and crispy treats so here’s another recipe to add to the pile: double chocolate peanut butter cookies.


I know, I started drooling at the name too. So wipe up the puddle that’s somehow started forming on your laptop and get to work! These little treats are easy to make (and easy to eat). At this point, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. Let's go with good. This recipe is plenty easy to double if you'd like to bring in some to share (or you can do what I do, which is form the balls and freeze them, then pop out a couple at a time when you need a cookie fix). 






Flourless Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

It’s a gluten-free, dairy-free cookie recipe! And it doesn’t use any specialty flours or oils! Because I’m not gluten free, I don’t have the inclination (or budget) to go out and buy specialty ingredients like rice flour, almond flour, or xanthum gum. However, I still like recipes that will be accessible to as many people as this one. I think this one is a winner in terms of gluten-free baked goods: one-bowl, no special ingredients, and delicious!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 c to 3/4 chocolate chips (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, whatever your preference. I mixed dark chocolate and peanut butter)
A BIG glass of milk for drinking while eating cookies (optional, but necessary)

Equipment:
Cookie sheet, bowl, arm strength

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine all ingredients except chips into one bowl and stir by hand with a spoon until all ingredients are incorporated and dough is smooth. Add the chocolate (or peanut butter) chips and stir to combine. Place dough in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. A cooler dough will create puffier cookies (this step can be skipped if you’re in a hurry).

Form into 1 inch balls (I used a tablespoon to scoop the dough) and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Yields 24 cookies.
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I also saw a suggestion for just using chocolate peanut butter (thus saving yourself the step of adding cocoa powder)! But since I didn't have it in hand, I tried it this way. Really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photography is really getting amazing! And I uphold my opinion that the green baking mat is an awesome backdrop.

    ReplyDelete