April 25, 2012

Spinach and Leek Quiche


When I started this recipe I was worried I’d lost my cooking mojo; two days ago I burned a batch of box-mix muffins (I know, I know. Box mix? Let’s just say I was broke and short on time and move on). Four days ago I burnt my finger when I forgot where the edge of the oven mitt was on a hot cookie sheet. Last weekend I burnt my thumb when I had a brain fart and picked up a ramekin I had just pulled from the oven with my bare fingers.

And this morning I tried making pie crust by hand. It looked horrible. It wasn’t binding together and there was basically a big pile of flour sitting on my counter. I decided to simply gather it together, wrap it in saran warp (big hurdle. You all know I lack the saran wrap mastery gene), and chuck it in the fridge in the vain hope that it would magically turn into pie crust in an hour if I didn’t look at it.

Long story short, it didn’t. However, I’d already invested a stick of butter into it, so I added a bit more water and mushed it all together and hoped for the best. I added some flour and got to rolling. Miracle of miracles, it actually came together and looked like a pie crust.

So I topped it with some spinach and chopped leeks and made this tasty quiche. You should make it too. And maybe consider buying a pre-made pie crust if you aren’t feeling ambitious or like cleaning your kitchen counters four times.










Spinach and Leek Quiche
This is slightly adapted from my previous Spinach Quiche recipe, found here 

The recipe originally called for 3 ounces of cream cheese but since I had Greek yogurt on hand and not cream cheese, I substituted it. Normally I wouldn’t chance it, but I made the Artichoke Heart Tart last weekend and that had an egg and Greek yogurt custard that tasted great so I took the leap. It tastes great! But feel free to return to the original cream cheese if you’d rather.

Ingredients

Pie Crust
1 1/4 all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed

Tart
3 ounces Greek yogurt
1/3 cup milk, half-and-half, or cream
3 eggs
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup leeks, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Equipment
Rolling pin  and food processor (if making crust), mixing bowl, tart pan

Make your crust: In the bowl of your food processor combine flour and salt and pulse to combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs with a couple of larger pieces remaining – about 10 seconds. (You can also mix in a large mixing bowl and cut in with a pastry blender to make crust by hand). Add ice water with machine running in a slow steady stream – do not process more than 30 seconds. Test the dough by squeezing it together. If it is still too crumbly, add more water a half-tablespoon at a time.

Turn out dough on clean work surface. Shape into a flattened disk and place onto a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap disk in plastic and refrigerate at least an hour.

Make the tart: Preheat oven to 425.

Mix the Greek yogurt, eggs, and milk together and stir well. Add the spinach, leeks, cheese, salt, and pepper.

Pour mixture into prepared crust and bake until crust is lightly browned and filling is set, about 25 minutes.

Cool at least 10 minute before serving.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment