April 5, 2012

Huevos Rancheros



This isn’t a traditional way of making or each huevos rancheros; for truth in advertising , I probably should have titled these “Fried Eggs with Yummy Stuff Underneath” but that doesn’t seem nearly as neat. Or enticing.

In any case, below is my usual recipe when I attempt to make huevos rancheros. I’ve seen other recipes that call for cooking the egg on the tortilla, but that never seems to work well for me. Either I burn the tortilla or break the yolk mid-way through cooking or some other tragedy befall what should be a delicious dish and my breakfast is much less happy.

So I wanted to share my method. It still only uses one pan (hooray for easy clean-up) but cooks each part in components to help get you to a happy, fully assembled and un-burnt breakfast. Or lunch if it’s been a lazy weekend morning.







 Huevos Rancheros

You could probably sub in a wrap if you can’t find small corn tortillas, but I think the corn pairs really nicely with the rich yolk of the egg and the tomato-y salsa. If you do sub away from the corn tortillas, however, you’ll need to double check the ingredients because it likely won’t be gluten free anymore.

Ingredients
2 small corn tortillas (I brought mine from Whole Foods – a packet of 12 for under a buck!)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons refried beans (I used Old El Paso, feel free to choose your favorite)
2 tablespoons salsa
2 tablespoons cheese (Cheddar, Mexican blend, Mozzarella, etc)
2 teaspoon fresh cilantro
Cooking spray
Salt to taste

Equipment
1 large pan with lid

Heat large pan over high heat. When hot, add tortillas one at a time and heat for about 30 seconds each until warm throughout. Smear a tablespoon of warm refried beans and salsa on each. Top each with teaspoon fresh cilantro.

Crack eggs into pan. Cover pan with lid and cook for about a minute (longer if you like your yolks solid).  Take lid off and sprinkle cheese of each egg and cook until cheese is melty. Place an egg on each tortilla directly on top of refried beans, salsa, and cilantro. Add salt to taste.

Enjoy.

Serves 1 (or 2 not terribly hungry people with side dishes on hand)
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment