March 23, 2012

Double Chocolate Yogurt Pancakes



I know there is a great divide in the world between people who are pancake eaters and people who are waffle eaters, but I still don’t understand it. Seriously, the batter is almost identical and both taste amazing smothered in butter, maple syrup, or chocolate hips. So waffle lovers of the world, forgive me. I don’t have a waffle iron so I haven’t tested and recipes for you yet. But I honestly think you’ll like this one.

Pancakes with Greek Yogurt at the base, who would have seen that one coming? I’d heard of ricotta pancakes but haven’t tried them yet. But since I always have Greek Yogurt on hand this recipe called my name. It also told me to add cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I tried to say no, but honestly it was very insistent. It said it would be sad if it wasn’t a double chocolate chip recipe, and well, who wants to see a sad pancake?

I don’t.

So double chocolate yogurt pancakes it was. These are less fluffy than traditional pancakes, which only makes sense when you think about how little flour is actually in these things. I’d like to try it again with a non-traditional flour – maybe spelt or whole wheat pastry – but only because I’m interested in playing with new flours. These tasted great as is, slightly tangy but super delicious. I’d only planned on eating 2 (one serving) but somehow all 4 were inhaled faster than I’d like to admit in public.

In any case, you should try these too. And make sure to add the chocolate or your pancakes will be sad.

Good thing I posted this on a Friday afternoon, huh? You have plenty of time to run to the supermarket before the weekend!





Double Chocolate Yogurt Pancakes

Amazingly, these babies are around 220 calories per serving but you can make them healthier by subtracting the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. As an FYI, I can eat about two servings by myself but luckily for you all this recipe is really easy to split in half!

8 ounces Greek yogurt (I used non-fat, plain)
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips

Equipment
Mixing bowls, large saucepan

Add Greek yogurt to mixing bowl and combine with flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Stir together. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and vanilla. Then pour into yogurt-flour mixture and stir together.

Spray saucepan with cooking spray and add batter 1/4 cup at a time. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, add chocolate chips, then flip over. Cook until pancake is set, about another 45 seconds, the remove to plate. Repeat with remaining batter.

Stuff into face and enjoy! You can add additional toppings if you’d like, but I think they’re fine on their own.

Serve 4.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment