February 21, 2012

Eggs in Southwestern Spicy Tomato Sauce



I love breakfast, but it’s often tricky to make it fresh every morning. Don’t get me wrong – unlike 98 percent of the world, I have enough time most mornings. I just get distracted. I need to catch up on my emails, see how Matt and the crew from the “Today Show” are doing, and spend a few minutes staring blankly at my closet trying to figure out what I’m going to wear to work.

You’d think I’d manage to squeeze in making a great breakfast in that hour, but I tend to default to a smoothie or toast too frequently. Recently however, I’ve been trying my lunch strategy on breakfast – make a big dish that can be portioned out throughout the week so I have a hot meal that comes together quickly.

This was adapted from SmittenKitchen because I had an extra can of black beans and the only canned tomatoes in my pantry had chilis in them. So southwestern style spicy tomato sauce instead! Still, really tasty though – I hope you enjoy!






 Eggs in Southwester Spicy Tomato Sauce
Adapted from SmittenKitchen 

I made this for just me so instead of finishing the recipe as explained in the last paragraph, instead I poached an egg regularly and served over a bowlful of the tomato sauce and kept the remainder in the fridge. 

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped thinly
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 can diced tomato with chilis
1 can black beans
Sea salt
4 eggs

Ingredients
Large pan

Heat olive oil in large pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and jalapeno and cook until soft and golden, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and paprika and cook until garlic is soft, about 2 minutes.

Add the liquid from the black beans and stir for another minute, then add the black beans. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the diced tomatoes and chili and cook another ten to fifteen minutes. Season with salt if desired.

Crack eggs over sauce so that eggs are evenly distributed across the surface of the pan. Cover with a lid and cook to your desired hardness – about 5 minutes for the yolks to be set and about 2 for runny yolks. Serve each egg and additional tomato sauce in its own bowl and enjoy!

Additional toppings: feta, goat cheese, pita bread

Serves 4
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment