October 3, 2012

Spanish-Style Meatloaf Cups



If I’ve learned anything from my long association with my sisters, it’s that small things are intrinsically better than large things. Puppies. Kittens. Baby shoes. Tiny meatloaves?

Well, the theory is the same.  I’ve seen these topped with mashed potatoes as a type of “frosting” to continue with the cupcake trend, but I haven’t tried it myself (give that I’m not a huge fan of mashed potatoes, it didn’t seem to make sense).

But seriously – tiny meatloaves! How can you go wrong? Instead of dealing with the traditional slab of meat, you get a cute individual portion. And why go boring when you could have Spanish-style meatloaf – filled with potatoes, onions, smoked paprika, pork, and Manchego?

I’m not sure I’ll ever go back to the loaf pan again.




Spanish-Style Meatloaf Cups
Slightly adapted from Serious Eats

I ended up freezing one tin of these to enjoy for later because try as I might, I tend to get sick of meatloaf after a couple days – about 3 days before I’m able to finish a meatloaf by myself. Simply place meat in greased muffin tins and into the freezer. Once solid, remove from tin and store in gallon-sized Ziploc bags. When you’re ready to eat, place frozen meatloaf cup into muffin tin and add about 5 minutes to the baking time. 

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small potatoes (about 1 1/3 cups), diced
1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 3/4 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 pounds ground pork or turkey
1 cup grated Manchego cheese (about 2 ounces)*
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg
Salt and pepper

*If you can’t find Manchego (I found it in Whole Foods), feel free to substitute any other slightly aged Sheep cheese, pecorino-romano, or I’ve heard nutritional yeast might work if you are dairy-free

Equipment
Large skillet, 4X10” loaf or 2 muffin tins, mixing bowl

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F. In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering and add onion, garlic, potatoes, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potato is soft and onion is brown – about 5 to 7 minutes. Add smoked paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook an additional minute.

In a large bowl, combine ground pork or turkey, cheese, breadcrumbs, and egg. Add vegetable mixture and season with an additional 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix ingredients together until well combined.

Transfer mixture to well-greased muffin tins (or well-greased 4x10” loaf pan). Bake until cooked through, about 30 minutes, rotating pan about halfway through. Let rest in muffin tins about 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 15 meat loaf muffins (serves 7 to 8)
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment