September 27, 2011

How to: Peel Garlic Quickly



When I first started experimenting with cooking I knew a couple things: I loved onions and I loved garlic. Both are still true today, but I today I actually know how to prepare those ingredients. When I started cooking alone, I could figure out how to chop an onion fairly easily (the hardest part was gaining enough confidence to slice evenly) but it took me a while to figure out how to get the garlic out of its skin. I used to slice off the bottom (where it attached to the bulb) and then try to get the knife tip underneath the skin and slice upwards.

As you can image, this resulted in more than one bloody knuckle.

This technique is one of my favorites. You basically smash the garlic clove while it’s still in its skin. This allows you to easily peel the skin off and gets the clove nice and flat, making it all the easier to slice for usage. Plus smashing things with knives is just cool.

How to: Peel Garlic Easily

Equipment:

Knife, cutting board

Step 1: Lay Garlic flat on chopping board


Step 2: Press flat side of knife with the palm of your hand firmly down, cracking the garlic clove


Step 3: Remove skin from clove!



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment